Saturday, February 27, 2010

Strength Finder 2.0

I recently took this online test developed by Tom Rath. He wrote the book that goes with it as well, but the main reason to buy the book is that you get a code to take the online Strength Finder 2.0 test. The results of the test will give your top 5 strengths that you should try to work within. Tom's reasoning is that you will achieve the best results if you work within your strengths.

My top 5 Themes in order were:

Futuristic
Strategic
Maximizer
Individualization
Ideation

I was actually surprised by my results. I wouldn't have thought of myself as a futuristic thinker before but after the test I completely see that as being a major component of the way I think. Futuristic means that I think about the possibilities of the future. I have vivid visions of what could be possible for people or businesses. It also makes me enthusiastic about the future, which explains why I don't fear getting old, I actually embrace it. My belief is that I should be able to accomplish more as I get old because of increased wealth, connections, and wisdom. I expect every year to be better than the one previous.

Strategic was one I anticipated as I like to think through solutions to problems and potential effects that would come with different solutions.

Maximizers like to take things or people that are good and turn them into things or people that are great. I think this works well with the futuristic thinking because I can picture an exciting future and think of ways to convert the present into that future.

The great thing about taking this test is knowing what your strengths actually are so you can seek to further develop those areas and work within them. Also, if you are strong in certain areas you should enjoy working in them more than other areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment