Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cyclical Growth

I was thinking today about how a person's growth is cyclical. If you assigned numbers to a person's growth they would not always be growing at a steady rate of 5. Instead one month, or even day, they make grow at a rate of 3, the next 2, the next 6, and the next even -1. The point is that you can't expect to always be experiencing a high rate of growth. I think learning to accept the low points as well as the high makes life a lot more peaceful.

This is not to down-play the responsibility we have in creating our lives. Certainly we are responsible for our current state of affairs. It is important to realize that we don't have total control over our lives, yet we must act as if we do.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective! I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this perspective too... I only have one question... why must we act as if we have total control over our lives? I don't quite understand that piece. Either way it's a great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara: Thanks!

    Christopher: For me it means that if I don't act like I have total control over my life I may chalk up future events to chance. I really believe I can create how my life looks, it is just a matter of how to get there.

    In the past I have gone into a type of waiting mode for things to change instead of trying to create the change myself now. I believe the danger of only focusing on the fact that we don't have total control is that we start making excuses for outcomes because we "don't have total control."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can appreciate that perspective, especially given the history of "waiting." Great post!

    ReplyDelete